The Kenya livestock Marketing Council (KLMC) is an umbrella organization of livestock producers and traders in arid and semi-arid areas of Kenya.
It was established in 2000 as a non-profit making services organization to counter the challenges the farmers are facing. KLMC is non political, non religious/commercial livestock pastoralists organization and partner with other stakeholders in achieving its objectives. KLMC is an affiliate of KENFAP, member of KEPSA, Kenya Chamber of Commerce, Joint Kenya and Arab Chamber of Commerce and North Eastern Africa Livestock Council (NEALCO).
The major aim of the KLMC is to promote livestock marketing and to improve pastoralists’ livelihood and reduce their vulnerability to the vagaries of weather and man-made disasters such as conflicts.
KLMC believes that pastoralism as the key economic activity in the Arid and Semi-arid area is a viable economic activity and can be harnessed to promote economic growth and development in those regions and reduce vulnerabilities.
KLMC recognized that the fundamental challenge facing the pastoralists is their inability to access better market for their livestock and livestock products. In order to achieve this noble goal, KLMC is working closely with other development partners and stakeholders to source for better market for livestock and livestock products and disseminate market information to producers and traders at the right time within the country, regionally and internationally
To be a member one is required to register by paying membership fees of Kshs. 500 for individual membership and Kshs. 1,000 for corporate and group membership. Old members are required to renew their membership by paying Kshs. 200 for individuals and Kshs. 500 for corporate and Group membership. Fully paid members are issued with membership cards and Certificates for Corporate and Group Membership.
- Equity and fairness
- Accountability and transparency
- Commitment and cooperation
- Quality service to members
- Efficiency and effectiveness
- Team work
- Sound use of the natural resources and environmental conservation
- To advocate for the interests and rights of the members on livestock matters in collaboration with other stakeholders.
- To promote livestock and livestock products marketing in the country and in particular in pastoral areas in order to enhance and improve the economic well being of livestock producing communities.
- To enhance marketing information, dissemination and communication to producers and traders.
- To solicit for funding including credit and offering group guarantees.
- Lobby for policy change to favour appropriate livestock development.
- Build capacities of members to sustainably manage livestock related infrastructures, undertake community based disease surveillance and control measures, enhance product value addition and entrepreneurship skills.
- Avail and disseminate livestock marketing information.
- Organize consultative forums between producers, traders, transporters, butchers and consumers to harmonize livestock and livestock products trade.
- Work closely with Department of Veterinary Services for the Associations to manage quarantine facilities sustainably.
- Outsourcing for markets, nationally regionally and internationally.
- Community mobilization and participation in development planning and implementation activities.
- Advocacy for better service delivery to pastoralist
ORGANISATION AND GOVERNANCE
The KLMC derives its strength and membership from the grass-root whereby producers, traders, user associations and other interested stakeholders register as members in all the counties. Registered members in the County form the County Livestock Marketing Council (CLMC). The members elect County officials (two delegates) to represent them at the National Kenya Livestock Marketing Council forum. Eleven persons among the delegates are elected to a National Directors’ Forum. This elected Board of Directors together with the national secretariat manages the organizations affairs at national and regional levels. There are also 11 elected officials in every county that manages the day to day county activities of the organisation.
Board of Directors
Mr. Abdikadir MohamedActing CEO
Mr. Dubat Ali AmeyNational Chairman
Mr. Joseph Losuru EsinyenNational Vice Chairman
Mr. Abdille Sheikh BillowDirector
Ms Sinteyian OrumoiDirector
Mr. Abdullahi Maalim AdanDirector
Mr Muhktar MuhammedDirector
Mr. Moses LetuiyiaDirector
Ms. Zeinab Gobu WakoDirector
Mr. Hussein HajiDirector
Mr. Emmanuel LotimDirector